Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Miracle of Technology

We live in a day and age where it is very common to communicate with people we’ve never met in person, share our lunch choices with the world, and where applying for jobs means you don’t have to leave your house.

My computer is finally back in my possession. I am a happy camper. How I’ve missed my normal keyboard and the touch pad I could turn off with the click of a button. I did not miss the annoying beep my computer made when it was disconnected from the power cord, but you can’t have everything.

When my computer began having problems, I did what any frightened writer would do – I pulled out my flash drive and quickly saved everything of importance. This included my first series (currently on hold until I figure out a few plot holes) and my most recent books that follow my awesome princess.

Saving was a matter of clicking and dragging. Even with my computer being silly and stupid, once the proper windows were up, it took seconds. Just like that, 11 books and various other versions of drafts, notes, and character journals were saved onto my flash drive. 11 books.

I stopped counting how many books I’d written after I finished my first series and still didn’t have anything published. I decided to count only the number of published books, since counting my manuscripts just made me depressed.

Aren’t you glad you live in a world where computers are so common? Can you imagine trying to edit one of your manuscripts completely by hand, from start to finish? Yes, I’d cry, too.

Today, we shall celebrate the writer’s best friend of the 21st century – the flash drive. There’s also emailing copies to yourself and using online storage.

Back up your work, people. Please. Don’t have a heart attack like I almost did when I thought my computer might be dead.

What are some inventions or computer features that you can't live without?

No comments:

Post a Comment