Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Don't Focus On Your Word Count

I don’t use Microsoft Word, so my word count is not staring me in the face every time I start writing,. While I do want to write as much as possible, I don’t focus on word count as I write. I focus on my story. When I finish my chapter, long scene, or when I feel like taking a break, I check my word count.

Every writer is different. If you’re the kind of person who has to stare it down in order to conquer your word count goals, feel free to ignore this tip.

But if you’re like me, you might benefit from focusing elsewhere. I don’t know how to get Word to hide the word count, but I do have a low-tech solution. Get a sticky note and apply it to the corner of the screen that holds your word count. Now, start writing. See what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment