Monday, November 18, 2013

Silence

Some of my scattered thoughts on a wonderful rarity in November, silence. This was written during a planning session for NaNoWriMo.

I’m sitting in our usual NaNo gathering spot with yet another group of local writers. As of this writing, NaNoWriMo is less than a month away. My local group has gathered to plan.

I should be planning something on my actual NaNo story, finishing up the other story that I haven’t finished yet, or planning a blog entry actually relating to writing and how to do it quickly. What am I doing instead? Writing a blog entry about silence.

The group has introduced ourselves and our stories more than once as people kept joining us. After the last round of introductions and story summaries, one writer sarcastically held up his hand and went, “Three, two, one, plan!”

That was all it took. It has been nearly half an hour of silence in our room. Each writer is focused on their book and furiously making notes. I’m the only one slacking off right now.

I should be taking advantage of the silence. I cherish writing in quiet places. Some people prefer white noise. I write better without it.

I love write-ins, but I usually get more written at home. The people who talk during our meetings distract me. But I’m usually not worried about reaching the finish line, so I’ve never cared.
Well, I’ve jotted down some thoughts about silence. It does happen during these meetings, but it certainly is rare. Silence has come of its own accord. Am I using it? No.

I should fix that. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment