Friday, November 1, 2013

Ready, Set, Go!


November 1st is here! It’s time to begin your NaNo story! Are you excited? Awesome! Are you nervous? Fantastic! Join the club!

Just Start Writing

At some point in your first few pages, the story is going to feel wrong. You’re going to feel like you’re failing. The story doesn’t sound nearly as awesome on paper as it did in your head. The beginning is boring or worse – doesn’t make sense. After an hour of struggling, you may not have managed to finish your first page.

These fears are normal. The temptation to quit will always be there. Don’t quit. Don’t worry if you fall behind. You have plenty of time to catch up.

You Know What You’re Doing!

As of this writing, my plot is very segmented. My characters are still vague. I’ve managed a grand total of two journal entries in an attempt to plan. I’ve learned more about their exes than the main characters, but at least I’ve learned something. My doctor character is still furious at her cheating husband. And my private investigator doesn’t like churches. He doesn’t like doing anything for free. And apparently, he likes Red Robin.

Where does my story take place? How old are my characters? What is the name of the hospital where half the story occurs? Not a clue.

If you’re in the same boat as me right now, don’t worry. Those answers will present themselves shortly (or can be filled in later). Keep plowing ahead with what you do know. It will help. Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment